MK Bhan Fellowship
M K BHAN – YOUNG RESEARCHER FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMME (MKB-YRFP)
ABOUT THE SCHEME:
The Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India, has launched a new grant opportunity, the M K BHAN – YOUNG RESEARCHER FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMME (MKB-YRFP), with an aim to encourage young bright researchers to continue their research in the country after Ph.D. The scheme is to offer an independent research grant to young Post-Doctoral Fellows, so as to enable them to emerge as future leaders and take up cutting edge research focused on issues of national relevance. This fellowship willbe awarded for Research work to be carried out at DBT-Autonomous Institutes only.
AIM OF THE FELLOWSHIP
- To provide attractive opportunities to young researchers for developing them as independent investigators.
- This will enable young researchers to pursue their research interests within the country and also develop a critical mass of trained scientists for the country’s research institutions, universities and major new initiative.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY?
- The applicant should be Indian National and possess a Ph.D. in any branch of Life Sciences/ Biotechnology/allied areas.
- Applicant should not be holding a permanent position in any institute/university.
- The applicant should have an excellent track record as evident by peer reviewed publications, technologies developed, patent (if any). Those who have submitted their Ph.D. are also eligible to apply; however, fellowship can be implemented only after award of the degree. Applicant should not take-up fellowship at the Institute where he/she has done his/her Ph.D.
- Each applicant must identify a host institute and a mentor.
- The upper age limit will be 35 years as on the closing date of the submission of the application.
- Applicants cannot have more than one fellowship at a given point of time.
- The application has to be routed through a host institute (DBT Autonomous Institute) chosen by the applicant to take up the fellowship and has to be signed by both, the mentor and head of the institution.
- In case a fellow is offered a permanent job, he/she can avail only either the fellowship or the salary.
- The fellowship is co-terminus with the project duration.
NATURE OF SUPPORT
- The scheme provides a consolidated monthly remuneration of Rs. 75,000/- p.m.
- MKB-YRFP fellows in addition will receive a research/contingency grant of Rs. 20.00 lakh per year for hiring manpower, purchase of consumables, minor equipment, domestic travel and other contingent expenditure to be incurred for the implementation of research proposal selected for the fellowship.
- Can engage one manpower (JRF/SRF/Project Assistant/Project Associate) under him/her. Capital equipment will be procured in the name of the institute where the fellow proposes towork and value of the whole set of the equipment should not exceed Rs.10.00 lakh.
- MKB-YRFP fellows will be eligible for regular research grant through extra mural and other schemes of various S&T agencies of the Govt. of India, provided that Co-PI is a regular faculty. However, they can take research grant from anywhere but salary from only one source.
WHERE WILL THE MKB-YRFP FELLOWS WORK?
- MKB-YRFP Fellows can take up the Young Investigator grant at any of the DBT-Autonomous institutions. However, application should be duly forwarded by the competent authority of the host Institute. Fellows can change their host institute only once during the tenure of the fellowship with the prior No Objection Certificate from the host institute who has forwarded the application (Director/Registrar). New institute proposed for change also hasto be a DBT Autonomous Institute.
- Candidate should submit his/her nomination through single host institute only. However, institutions can nominate more than one candidate.
DURATION AND NUMBER OF FELLOWSHIP
The duration of the fellowship will be for a period of three years and in exceptional cases the duration could be extended by another two years on a fresh appraisal.
|Program Head||Dr. Meenakshi Munshi, Scientist G|
|Programme Coordinator||Dr. Suraksha S. Diwan, Scientist E|
|Attached Officer||Dr. Deo Prakash Chaturvedi, Scientist C|